Ko'Olina is naturally appealing as the gorgeous resort community it is, but it has much more to offer than just its luxurious beaches and spectacular views.
The following are five reasons the resort is particularly appealing to military buyers:
1. VA loans are acceptable in all of the residential areas of Ko’Olina, including Ko’Olina Kai Golf Estates, Hillside Villas, Fairways, Kai Lani, and Coconut Plantation. Many properties are priced under the VA loan limit, and they meet the VA’s minimum property requirements for condition of the home.
2. The construction in the resort is newer and in better condition than most properties on Oahu, so it feels more familiar to mainlanders. The buildings are also stylish, a rarity on Oahu. These are not sprawling, faceless suburbs. Coconut Plantation and Ko’Olina Kai Golf Estates are southern plantation style, and Kai Lani is Tuscan style. A golf course meanders through the resort, and homes are positioned for privacy and with green space between.
Ko'Olina single family home on the golf course
3. This is a property you’ll look forward to returning to when you retire. Many military buyers purchase a home at one duty station and later rent it out for several years while they PCS around the globe, waiting to settle down. It’s tough to own a home near a military base in the middle of Kansas and feel secure it’ll remain rented and maintain its value throughout a career, but Ko’Olina attracts people from all over the world, which helps to secure your investment.
4. The Ko’Olina market, while priced slightly higher than Ewa Beach, is not nearly as competitive. I recently took a buyer to look at homes in the $450,000-500,000 price range in Ewa Beach. We submitted offers on two properties, neither of which were accepted because each seller received more than five offers, buyers bid well over the asking price, and some full cash offers were submitted.
We changed strategy and toured Ko’Olina looking at properties in the same price range. While the maintenance fees were about $200 higher per month in Ko’Olina, I was able to negotiate the price of the property down about $10,000. The buyer was happier in the end because the lifestyle and amenities were much more appealing than Ewa Beach. Nicely landscaped Ko'Olina community
5. You can have peace of mind during a deployment. The association maintains the building exterior and landscaping, so there’s no maintenance to worry about while you’re gone. If you’re leaving a family member behind, you can take comfort that several of the neighborhoods are gated, and the resort is patrolled by security officers and protected by cameras.
Let's Create Your Hawaii Life!
As a veteran myself, I understand the unique needs of military buyers from both a personal and a professional perspective. Contact me today so we can work together to create your Hawaii life!